Thursday, October 27, 2011

Toilets, toasters and accountants...oh my.

I did everything I possibly could this morning to avoid coming to work. I slept in, did morning devo's, talked to God for a little while, had a half hour text message conversation with my neice, made breakfast and actually sat down to eat it, did the few dishes in the sink, decided the toilet needed to be scrubbed, a load of laundry put in and floors swept, I even played with our inherited dog. I finally ran out of "gotta do before I leave for work chores", so I loaded up with my purse, laptop, car keys, gave the dog a treat, turned back for a quick glance and realized I left the toaster out. Sigh. I unloaded, put the toaster back where it belonged, switched the laundry, gave the dog another treat, loaded back up and drove to work. I took the scenic route. I needed to since I only live 1/2 mile from work. Why? Avoidance. The non-profit I run was having it's annual review/audit. I hate numbers. They confuse me. My memory is awful and unless my bookkeeper keeps copius notes (of which she does) I knew I was not going to be much help to the numbers guy. I can't take it all in...my eyes start to glaze over, I can't understand a word he's saying to me...literally. At one point I feared I was having a stroke. I could see his lips moving but I couldn't comprehend what he was saying. Remember in the movie Old School when Will Ferrell is hit by a stun gun in the neck...? Yep, that was me today except I didn't fall into a swimming pool, nope I fell on my ego.
I came across all executive director like until the numbers guy asks me questions about depreciation and allocations and debits and credits and blah, blah, blah.
I'm busted...
I've been telling God for 10 years I'm not the one to run this show. Again, I blame Him. I only really want to do what I want to do and balancing budgets is not one of them. All day I have felt like I'm on the edge...and then tonight I realized that I'm the one that puts me there. I don't have to have all the answers, I just need to know people that do. (Key leadership principle!) Which allows me to focus on what I'm really good at...which is distraction and apparently avoidance.

No comments:

Post a Comment