Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Happy Birthday Mom.

You would have been 85 years old today. I miss you. I miss your hugs. I miss your smell. Do you know that I've saved your perfume and every year on mother's day I spray a little on me? Silly, I know. But I need you back. I've never stop missing you.

I have so much to ask you.

I need to know...

how your heart healed when I hurt you,

how you never held a grudge,

how you prayed.

I need to know...

why you never stop dieting,

why you didn't believe you were beautiful,

why you never shared your tears.

I need to know...

when you knew you needed to speak the truth to me,

when life was too hard.

I need to know...

about your fears,

your dreams,

your desires,

your wishes,

your struggles,

your heart,

your messy.

I need to know...

where your courage came from,

where you put your pain.

I need to know...

who listened to your sorrows,

who felt your grief when your brother died,

your mom died,

your dad died,

your husband died.

I need to know...

what you loved,

what you wanted,

what you believed.

I need to know...

everything about you.

I miss you more than my heart can bear.

I need you to tell me how to be a mom.

I need you to meet your great grand babies.

I need them to meet you.

I need to tell you...

stuff.

I need to know that you can hear me.

I need to know...

you - beneath the layers of 78 years of living,

your pearls of wisdom,

your memories,

your grace,

your heart.

I need to know that you are with Dad and your family and Jesus and it's beautiful and peaceful and glorious and pure and safe and extravagant and joyous and eternal.

I need you to know...

that I eat hotdogs and popcorn from Target when I need to feel you closer,

that chaos makes me nervous,

that I'm scared sometimes,

that I worry too much,

that I walk like you,

that I just want sips of Danny's beer,

that I've fallen in love with your dog,

and so has your son-in-law,

that I cry alone,

that I am brave,

and raw,

and beautiful

because of you.

I love you.

Happy Birthday Mom.



















No comments:

Post a Comment